Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Hucks Lowcountry Table Isle of Palms SC

Saturday night there were four of us that dined at Huck's Lowcountry Table at the Isle of Palms. I had eaten there previously with friends but it had been a while ago and had recalled it being a very good experience. One reason this should be a good option for me is that this is a restaurant that uses seasonal foods so the chefs should be creative and used to changing menu items. Our server greeted us right away and got our drink order promptly. She came back with our drinks, told us of their specials, then proceeded to take our order. I always kind of hate this as I feel I am the "problem child" at the table. But I explained my milk issue to the server and she was just great about it. I ordered a grilled Wahoo dish that was to be served over corn puree and topped with grilled shrimp and a type of salsa. She made lots of notes on her order pad and told me she felt sure there was a milk product in the corn puree. I told her I would take anything as a substitute as long as it was safe for me. Ken is a friend of ours that was with us and he ordered the same dish but as was written on the menu. Okay, great! A little bit later our food arrives being delivered by another server. She asked who had the dairy free Wahoo and I told her I did. Ken then got his dish too. He looks at his and looks at mine. He says, "Yours looks just like mine." Yes, it did. We flagged our server down and she said "I swear I thought the corn puree has a milk product in it. Please don't eat any until I check. I wrote that on the ticket and even told them!" She comes back in just a minute, obviously exasperated with the kitchen, and removes my plate immediately with apologies. Now I have to wait to have my food replaced. In the meantime the manager does come out and is very apologetic. A few minutes later I have a new piece of grilled wahoo over asparagus. The food was good but not great. We all enjoyed being out at the beach and the company was great. (They were visiting from Atlanta.) I feel sure the server really did all she could to take care of me but there definitely was a misstep in the kitchen. It really helped that the manager came to apologize and I did not leave feeling negative about my dining experience. But Charleston has more than it's fair share of good/great restaurants (as most of you know!) so it would be easy to put other restaurants higher on the totem pole when deciding where to go!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing this. Blog posts like this is one of the many reasons my family has been looking at some Isle of Palms real estate because every time we went down, we have loved every minute of it. We now want to be able to go down there any time we want during the summer.

    ReplyDelete