Thursday, September 15, 2011

Fuel (A Caribbean Cantina Downtown Charleston)

A few nights ago I met my friend Shelby downtown for dinner. I have to admit that Fuel was not our original intent. We were actually going to Moe's Tavern on Rutledge Avenue but it was closed for remodeling when I got there. So Shelby and I, in our separate cars and via phone continued back into town on Rutledge. When I mentioned I was now passing Fuel she said she had been there several times and that it was good. So Fuel it was!  Now I already loved it from the outside... an old gas station turned into an eclectic restaurant. (Hence the name!) I always like that places that look intriguing and "not touristy".
We choose to sit outside where most of the seating is anyway. It was a great night for that weather wise.

Our server came promptly and took our drink order while we perused the menu. http://fuelcharleston.com/assets/Uploads/FUEL-Menu.pdf
There was even a note at the bottom of the menu that said to alert your server of any allergens you may have. That was quite promising to me! And the menu choices looked great. When our server returned with our drinks I asked about a couple of  menu items that I may be interested in ordering (black bean cake and fried flounder sandwich) and asked if she could check on these foods for me. She came back and said that I would be safe (no milk products) with either entree. Well, I was a bit excited about the fried flounder sandwich as I have not been able to eat any fried seafood out anywhere since being aware of my allergy 5 years ago. It's funny because I never really ordered fried seafood before but now that I usually can't have it, it's like the "forbidden fruit" that you just really want to eat! Shelby had suggested we split the seafood bouyan (and yes, that IS the way it is spelled!) as she said it was delicious and we could also split the flounder sandwich and sweet potato fries. I was excited! The server brought our food shortly. We started on the bouyan. This is the description: " a stew of fresh shrimp, mahi-mahi, tomato, onion,peppers, garlic, COCONUT MILK, and rice." Doesn't that sound wonderful? And it was! And it was such a treat for me to get something CREAMY. Then we split our flounder sandwich and it was delicious too.
So I am actually really happy that Moe's was not open that night because I loved Fuel. It was just a great combination of cool, laid back, and charming.. Our service was friendly and so nice to have places that do not make me feel like a pain in the #** to take of me. And thanks to Shelby for the recommendations!



No comments:

Post a Comment