Monday, June 27, 2011

An Overview of My Blog.

This is my attempt to review my experiences dining out with food allergies. It seem people have more food sensitivities than ever. There are a lot of theories as to why this is happening but no real concrete answers. As for my personal experience, I am allergic to milk and all milk products. Now I have not always been allergic. a matter of fact, quite the opposite! From the time I was a baby until approximately 5 years ago I drank milk everyday of my life. And I loved cheese! Even my first job at the age of 14 was at an ice cream parlor in Myrtle Beach. I worked 4-5 nights a week and always had a chocolate sundae and a different flavor of ice cream each night. I almost believe I have consumed my lifetime quota so my body said "that's it for you!"
As with any food allergy, milk is not just found in obvious foods. When shopping I have to read labels and search for words such as whey and cassein. These can be found in many processed foods and are often found in products like hot dogs, sausage, and breads. So, as you can see, this can make dining out even more challenging. I have to be extra cautious when eating at chain style restaurants where the food is largely pre-prepared and contains additives to keep the foods fresh. It would be ideal not to eat at these types of restaurants but sometimes it's just nice because of convenience. On my last trip to TGI Fridays they brought out an allergy menu to help me in making a selection. The real surprise was that they had absolutely NO items that did not contain milk. Even the balsamic vinaigrette dressing had some milk product in it which I would not have even questioned normally. I did appreciate that they were very nice in locating a menu like that for me and we knew to leave and go elsewhere. But...I find it a disappointment not to have something on the menu to accommodate everyone, particularly in these days when people seem to have so many food allergies. On the other hand, a favorite chain style restaurant for me to go to is PF Changs as they are VERY accommodating to food allergies. It is printed on their regular menu to please let them know of your allergy and they will print out a menu just for you.
I also believe that any restaurant that prepares their food to order really has no reason not to oblige their customer's special requests. It is so nice when I dine at a restaurant, have a server that does not mind talking to the kitchen staff, have the kitchen LISTEN to the wait staff, and  I am served food that is not only milk- free but flavorful. Another problem I have from time to time is ordering something that sounds delicious from the menu even without the cheese (or whatever it is) and getting the entree and it is very bland. I have had on numerous occasions, the person preparing my food not put anything on it either because they don't understand or they are just irritated by my requests.
As the food allergy problem continues to increase I believe restaurants of any kind need to be aware of accommodating this ever growing group of customers. Of course, it is much easier to eat at home and know that I am "safe" but I have always enjoyed dining out and eating foods that I would not prepare at home.
I would like to use this blog not only to share my experiences but hopefully to hear from anyone else about their experiences dining out with allergies for yourself or your children.

3 comments:

  1. Such an important topic Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jennifer--Just got the Planters Point email with your link. Great info!! I live over in High Marsh and have a nutrition consulting business with a focus on food allergies. I'd love to guest blog for you sometime and have you guest blog for me too. Shoot me an email-- livingwithwellness@hotmail.com
    -Monica Pelletier

    ReplyDelete