Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Tupelo Honey Cafe South Asheville NC (Hendersonville- Asheville area)

Recently I was in the Hendersonville NC area visiting my mom. This is my childhood home and I love going back to visit as often as I can. The restaurant scene in the area has changed a lot since I lived  there and there are lots of great choices of eateries from which to select. We were on our way to the Biltmore House that evening for a concert at one of the most awesome venues-atop the mountain where the estate sits looking out to an unending view of layers of mountains at sunset. But I digress...
We selected this restaurant because it was along our way to Biltmore and I had always wanted to try the original location in Asheville. This is a newer location for them. My friend, Sharon, who lives in the area, also said it was a favorite spot of hers. So there we met. The restaurant is located in a newer strip mall but at the end, with an outdoor dining patio where we sat. The weather was great up in the mountains for dining outside. It was such a welcome reprieve from the high heat and humidity we have been experiencing in Charleston.
Our waiter arrived immediately and we ordered a round of drinks. As we were waiting for our drinks the patio began to fill up quickly. I believe our waiter must have been swamped as the bartender eventually arrived with our drinks.
As I perused the menu I felt this would be a place that would not mind accommodating my food allergy requests as they offered and marked some of their menu items as vegan, gluten free and soy free. They also use local vendors for much of their food. The menu looked great  an had a lot of good side item choices. http://www.tupelohoneycafe.com/assets/TupeloMenu_NIGHT.pdf Read the menu. It will make your mouth water too! I asked about the black bean burger. This is something I love to eat but have not found a restaurant where I can have this as it usually contains some sort of milk protein as a binder. Well, our waiter said he thought this one did not contain any milk product but he would be glad to ask. He came back in a few minutes and said I should be fine with the burger and also the sweet potato fries that I had asked about.
Our food arrived a bit later (it was a little slow, especially for trying to get to a  concert!). The plate looked wonderful! But I did run into a problem that I have happen often enough. I had asked for no milk products, including butter or margarine, and my bun had been grilled with butter. So I had to send that back to get another bun. (I usually try to remember to ask about that but just had not thought about it this time.) But once I got it back it was DELICIOUS! All that I had expected and more. It was probably the best black bean burger I have had out (unless it had just been so long since I had one!!!). And the sweet potato fries were just as good. My friend, David, had a catfish taco and fried Parmesan corn on the cob.
And he said he it as good as it looked.
Sharon loved her open face veggie sandwich and tomato soup too.

We sat outside but when I went inside the atmosphere was really cozy and I really liked how they utilized old screen doors as room dividers.
This was definitely an enjoyable restaurant for me dining out with  my food allergies and they offered  many choices which I do not often have. I will be back...


No comments:

Post a Comment