Monday, August 1, 2011

Seewee Restaurant Awendaw SC

 
If you have never been to Seewee restaurant in Awendaw you need to treat yourself. This is always a favorite spot of mine. It's named after the Seewee Indians that were in this area and the building itself started as a general store in the 1920's. But for many years now it has been a restaurant that is always packed with locals. (Which is nice in this town with so many restaurants catering to our tourist population!) And it's a great place to visit on the weekends when it's warm as they usually have live music outside under the little shed. (Often times bluegrass music.)
There were 5 of us Saturday night. Our waitress came and I started my usual barrage of questions regarding the dishes I could order without milk. Even though I have been here before I often get different answers at restaurants regarding ingredients so I always like to ask. I knew I would order blackened shrimp as I have had that many times at Seewee. This is a place that you get 3 sides with your entree and there are MANY choices so the sides were what my questions were about. I can almost always get French Fries and Cole Slaw to be safe but am usually hoping for something more interesting. When I first asked our server about the sides she did not seem too interested in helping me out but said she would check. Others at the table commented that she did not seem to want to be bothered. We saw her go ask another server. Now that server may be knowledgeable of the foods but it just makes me feel better if you ask the people that will be cooking my food! She came back and told me all I could get was French Fries and Applesauce. Then she said she did not ask the staff in the kitchen because they were all new and may not know!?! They may not know how they cook the food they are cooking??? I told her that on my other visits I had been able to select from a lot more side dishes. They have probably about 15-20 side dishes: sweet potato casserole, fried squash, steamed squash, butter beans, green beans, fried okra, macaroni and cheese, rutabagas...you get the idea...lots of southern style veggies! When I mentioned I had had more choices before she told me she would check with the kitchen. Ahhh...relief! She comes back and then names many items that I could have. Now she seems eager to help. And she reassures me that this is good information since the head guy has been there since they opened many years ago. Kind of a different story than what she had told me in the beginning! Anyway, I ordered butter beans , collard greens, and yes, french fries just to be on the safe side! Everything was delicious, as always. And by the time we left our server had really warmed up to my "problem" and even told me to seek her out next time and she would know what I could eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment